Get Out the Ribbon and Bows, Your Gift Giving Guide is Here
We have all been there before. The occasion presents itself to buy a gift for someone special in our lives, and we find ourselves at a loss for what to buy and wrap. So, whether you’re buying for that person who has everything, or you have no clue what to buy a millennial, or you simply have no idea where to even begin, this gift guide should provide some inspiration to get you started down the right gift-giving path.
5 Tips to Get Started
- Focus on the Receiver. There are many of us who find ourselves buying what we really want and rather than what they really want. Steer clear of this gift-giving pitfall by starting with a brainstorm of everything you know about the person you are buying for. Do they love to cook? Spend a lot of time traveling? A voracious reader? Can’t get enough museum time? Everybody has hobbies and interests. Use this as a starting point to pinpoint a gift that is right in line with their interests.
- Make It Personal. Take a fairly general gift and then find a way to personalize it to take it to all new heights in gift giving. A set of champagne flutes may make a relatively nice gift, but personalized ones for the newlywed couple will feel super special and cherished for years to come.
- Be Charitable. For those that really and truly do have everything, consider donating to their favorite charity in their name. They will appreciate that you took notice of the causes for which they have a passion, and will be especially glad that they won’t have to return yet another blender to the store.
- Give an Experience. Sometimes the best gifts of all won’t even fit in a box. Tickets to a touring theater production, a couples’ afternoon at the spa, movie tickets paired with dinner out at the newest restaurant in town. (Don’t forget to make reservations for them about a week out!)
- Leverage the Latest. Spend a little time perusing your gift receiver’s social media pages. Did they just buy a new car? Did they get a promotion? Have they spent the last month in Italy taking a million photos? Use these new developments to inspire your gift giving. For instance, an auto membership, a leather portfolio, or an online scrapbooking subscription.
For the home decorators on your list, the hardest part may be choosing just one item. There are so many home décor items that will make them brighten up with excitement. The key here is to choose items that have lots of versatility. The second they see it, their imagination will shift into high gear about all the ways they can use their newfound treasure. Select something with loads of charm: a collectible statue, a distinctively framed mirror or a beautiful table lamp, just to name a few. All of these will easily complement a wide range of design styles.
Nice Advice: Heading over for a festive gathering? Tie a ribbon around a set of hand towels in the theme of the holiday for a lovely hostess gift.
It may seem like she has everything, but trust us—there’s always room for a thoughtful and stylish gift. When in doubt, head to the accessories department. A scarf in this year’s trendy color or pattern, a pair of women’s gloves or a leather women’s handbag will all be welcome gifts that make her feel special. If fashion has you perplexed, then let the pampering begin with perfume for women, luxury bath gift set or a manicure gift set.
Nice Advice: Don’t wait until the last minute to buy her a gift. Take time to put some thought into it. That’s almost as important as the gift itself.
Start by thinking about where he spends his time. Is it the ballpark or the man cave? His office or the neighborhood gym? Wherever he spends most of this time is likely a great place to start brainstorming the best gifts that will fit his personality best. Sports memorabilia will appeal to the avid fan in him. Travel bags for men that can keep him organized and looking sharp on his next business trip are a welcome addition.
Nice Advice: Give him a gift that he would never have picked out for himself, like a framed picture of him and the kids or a personalized compass so he’ll always find h.
Tantalize the taste buds of your foodie friends with a delicious food gift subscription, a grilling gift set for the grillmaster, or try an online gift certificate to the newest snack-of-the-month club. They will be thinking of (and thanking) you and your thoughtful gift with every delicious bite. Wrap up a few kitchen essentials to complement their foodie tendencies: a cheese board, a set of appetizer plates or the latest kitchen gadget should do the trick.
Nice Advice: Give tickets to a local wine tasting or a gift certificate to the trendy new hot spot in town.
When it comes to gifts for kids, you can’t go wrong with something unique. They will love being the only kid on the block who has their very own gumball machine or castle pavilion playhouse. Sneak in a little learning under the radar with kids’ educational toys that will challenge their growing brains while they’re having plenty of fun. And personalized toys will make them feel extra special knowing that the gift was made just for them.
Nice Advice: Gather up several small inexpensive gifts into a unique gift basket to make the kids on your list feel like they hit the jackpot!
Still, need more holiday gift ideas? Shop now to get the best selection of gifts for everyone on your list.