Kitchen Decorating Ideas to Update the Heart of Your Home
There’s a reason why every party seems to end up in the kitchen – it’s where we gather for cooking, eating and connecting. It truly is the very heart of every home, so whether you are poised to renovate, redecorate or are looking to do a simple update, be sure to consider all the ways you live and use the space when looking at kitchen decorating ideas.
We often think a kitchen makeover requires big budgets and lots of time. But, you can actually make big changes with just a few simple, affordable additions in a snap. Consider how a pop of fresh color and a new approach to kitchen storage could add new life to this all-important space that is truly the heart of your home with these new kitchen decorating ideas.
Explore open kitchen shelving, rather than keeping everything tucked behind cabinet doors. Open shelving lets you store fruit and vegetables with easy access. Or, it looks fantastic in a kitchen since stacks of dishware, bowls, and glasses look beautiful on display. Add a few baskets to wrangle the not-as-lovely stuff while still looking stylish. Pick what works best for your space: ladder-style wall shelving for a corner, wheeled shelves for flexibility, or a single decorative shelf with open cubby bins and hooks for hanging aprons and dish towels.
Seek inspiration from today’s popular rustic trend by displaying a metal storage tower and filling it with your favorite kitchen items. Think colorful mugs, a small vase or a stack of towels.
Kitchen canisters are a great way to add personality and color to your countertops or shelves. Pick a whimsical set featuring colorful roosters or an understated set with inspirational words. Not only are they decorative, but they can also keep ingredients handy that you use often- from flour and sugar to tea bags.
Kitchen decorating space is often at a minimum, with only a few wall spaces and counter-tops to work with. Choose a distinctive accent that serves double duty – like a kitchen clock.
Run the Table
There is no better way to add a pop of color and element of charm than a kitchen table runner. It is also a great way to pull together your decorating theme – whether it is country roosters, farmhouse or rustic.
You spend time in your kitchen every single day, so it’s the perfect place to hang an art print that features inspirational quotes that will remind you and your family about what is important.
Today’s industrial style trend keeps things simple with wall mount shelves featuring wire cubbies to hold all your go-to essentials – from keys and mail to dish towels and coffee mugs.
Kitchen Wall Art
It’s easy to focus on the practical side of how you use your kitchen, and forget to add purely decorative elements. Make it your own with unique kitchen wall art like the universal fork and spoon. There are so many ways to decorate a blank kitchen wall.
There’s often a big expanse of real estate in your kitchen down where your feet are where a rug could make a big impact. A large area rug can give the kitchen a whole new look, or a smaller accent rug near the sink or prep area can provide much-needed relief as you’re cooking or preparing meals.
Work the Windows
Every kitchen has a window or two. Look at these as your place to add color and style with a new window treatment. Valances are easy to add without covering up too much. Curtains frame things nicely and add movement and color to your space.
5 Kitchen Decorating Secrets Revealed
Finally, we share 5 decorating secrets to make you love your kitchen even more. Just like your favorite recipe, the ingredients make all the difference. Think of your kitchen decorating the same way, adding just the right flavor and accent with a few key decorating pieces. From slipcovers on your dining chairs to a fresh window covering or creative storage pieces, your kitchen is just waiting for a little something new.
Kitchen Decorating Secrets:
- Add storage to your kitchen and dining area. You’ll gain instant charm and great storage space where you can display some of your favorite items.
- Have a room you want to update and not sure where to start? Focus on what matters most to you. With a pencil and paper in hand, go into the room you want to update with your eyes closed. Open your eyes and very quickly spot three objects in the room you no longer love or don’t fit your lifestyle. Use this list as your starting point for your room update.
- The kitchen is the hardest working room in the house. Freshen it up with these easy tricks: introduce new colors in your kitchen accessories, update your window treatments, hang your favorite picture on the wall, roll out a new rug, touch up walls with scrubbable paint for easy upkeep.
- What to do with your old chairs? Paint them or re-upholster? How about cover them! Give your dining room a fresh look with new dining chair slipcovers.
- If you enter your kitchen directly from the outside of the garage, add a wall coat tree and a storage bench for boots. This is also a good place for a small indoor/outdoor area rug that can catch dirt, hide stains and stands up to heavy traffic.
Done With Your Kitchen and Now on to…
Need help with room decorating ideas for other rooms in your house? Check out our Home Decorating content for inspiration and decorating expertise for every room.