Make Your Own Waterproof Book Cover in 6 Easy Steps
The great outdoors is beckoning you. Protect your summertime reading materials from water and suntan lotion with an oilcloth book cover.
You must know how to use a sewing machine, but you don’t have to be an expert seamstress.
- Sewing machine and thread
- Oilcloth or vinyl material (enough to cover your book)
- Soft pencil
Follow these six easy steps:
- Place the piece fabric, wrong side up, on your work surface and lay an opened book on top of it.
- Draw a line around the book making the area 1″ bigger from the top to the bottom and 6″ bigger side-to-side.
- Cut out along your lines.
- Turn under and stitch a 1/4″ hem along the top and bottom edges.
- Put the fabric back on the table, wrong side up, and mark fold lines for the left and right flaps at 2 3/4″ from each raw edge.
- Fold along this line and sew in place along the top and bottom edges, lining up the top and bottom hems.
All done! Slide the book into its cover and go outside. There is nothing better than sitting outdoors reading a great book.