8 Tips for Successfully Decorating With Throw Pillows
Just about the easiest and most affordable way to change up your room’s décor is with a decorative set of throw pillows. The key is to have a vision before you start tossing throw pillows all about. It can’t just be a mish mash of random pillow styles. This will take some advance consideration, and we’ve got plenty of tips to keep you on track.
- Solids with Patterns – Mix solid color decorative accent pillows with patterned ones for a pleasing contrast. Try pairs of each and keep things nice and symmetrical.
- A Garden Full of Floral – Like the floral look? Go ahead and turn your sofa into a garden party with a variety of florals scattered about. This is one place where you can focus in on one style, florals and then choose just a wide variety of shapes, sizes and colors. The floral theme will hold it’s own.
- Show Your True Colors – Keep things simple by staying within one color palette. Choose a complementary trio of shades, then mix and match them as much as you want. Build your pillows around a seasonal theme, such as rich autumn tones like rust, green and gold. Then, completely change them out for a festive theme of red, green and gold during the holiday season.
- Singular Sensation – When it comes to decorative pillows for the couch, pick a single theme or style and then stick with it. Pile on contemporary, modern geometric prints in varying shades. Or warm up the room with all southwestern patterns.
- Texture Counts – The fabric and texture of your pillows matters just as much as the theme and color. A traditional tweed style looks great with a fall color palette or in neutral tones. A fringed burlap pillow will add texture among other pillows in the same color palette.
- Enough Is Enough – How many pillows is the right amount? When in doubt, rely on symmetry to help you out. Start with one pair, and then add another pair, especially with throw pillows for the bed. And whether it is the sofa or the bed, when you have to move them all to sit comfortably, you might have too many.
- Get the Big Picture – Be sure to buy pillows for the entire room, not one batch for the sofa and another one for the side chair. From large throw pillows to small accent pillows, be sure to look at is as one big picture that has to work together.
- Get Outside – Patio pillows instantly make your patio furniture feel like a livable, inviting space, so be sure to take the same approach to your outside decorating, as you would your inside decorating.
Show us your pillow perfection!
Share with us how you piled on the pillows in your living room, bedroom or outdoor patio in the comment section below.