From Polygons to Honeycombs: Making Patterns Work
The beauty of a pattern is that it can bring instant order to your space and depending on your choice, it can feel contemporary, fresh, classic or traditional. Color choice and pattern shape will drive this style, so you can make it all uniquely yours.
Pattern Perfect Decorating Tips
- If you’re just starting out with patterns and geometric shapes, try it in small doses. A smattering of throw pillows in a variety of geometric shapes and colors looks striking against a neutral sofa.
- A bedroom comforter set can be an easy and relatively inexpensive place to try out a geometric pattern. Color choice here is key; choosing both a bold pattern and a bold color will be a bold look. But mixing a bold print with a demure color will soften the effect. Let your instincts guide you.
- Take a cue from your fashion sense. Just as a switch from a solid color sweater to a patterned one can completely change your look, the same is true with your furniture. Where an accent chair in solid beige would have been grounding, one in a pattern will catch the eye and be a bigger player in setting your room’s mood. Be sure to strike the right balance.
- Use pattern to bring focus to your room. If you have a pattern that you absolutely love, then showcase it on a large piece of furniture and let it be the standout piece.
- Geometric patterns carry a lot of visual interest, which makes them ideal in area rugs. Chevron stripes, trellis patterns and crisscross designs can all look perfect on an area rug and may serve as the sole place in the room where you want to feature pattern.
- When only a little patterned accent is needed, there are plenty of places to look. Try a table lamp with a geometric lampshade, an unexpected wall sconce or hang a breezy set of panel curtains in a fresh new pattern to make an instant impact to your room.
What’s your angle?
Tell us how you plan on adding geometric prints to your living space in the comment section below. We are always inspired by your style!